The Essentials of Operating a Shop Course by My Shop Assist (MSA)
So you’ve become a proficient tuner and have intimate knowledge of all the tuning platforms you work with. You either have your own shop or have aspirations of opening one. To become a successful business owner, you need to know how to run the business. But this is easier said than done. This class will answer many of the important questions you have along with ones you haven’t even thought of yet.
Most shop owners begin their career as technicians, not business owners. Often, you start out working for someone else, in their shop, and watch how they run their business. Ultimately, you decide that you can do it better on your own but do not know what it really takes to manage your own shop. Operating your own business can be quite intimidating, so this class is intended to help prepare you for what you need to know and how to work through it. We will give you the tips and tools needed to make your new dream shop highly profitable in the shortest amount of time.
What is the class about?
The Essentials of Operating a Shop course is a 1 day, 9-hour course that will provide you with the concepts and procedures you need to become a successful shop owner.
Running a business is hard. It’s not just tuning a bunch of cars, milling dozens of parts in a machine, or installing lift kits. There are hundreds of business-related decisions that must be made every day to ensure your success and without the proper training and guidance, making the wrong decisions can be extremely costly.
After attending the Essentials of Operating a Shop course, you will have the answers to questions like,
- When is the best time to hire employees?
- How do I manage the employees I already have?
- What is the best way to provide excellent customer service without spending all day doing it?
- Should I sell parts online? What’s the best way to do it?
- How much inventory should I keep?
- When is the right time to invest in shop equipment such as a Dyno, CNC machine, or alignment rack?
- How do I minimize overhead expenses?
- What are some common best practices for accounting?
- What are the best marketing strategies to get name recognition?
- …and many more.
Come prepared to learn how to work ON your business instead of IN your business.
Who Should Attend?
This class is designed for current owners or shop managers but it is also perfect for that technician who is interested in opening their own shop. It doesn’t matter if you’re an established shop looking to improve your business operations or brand new (maybe not even open yet). You will benefit from Essentials of Operating a Shop.
This class isn’t specific to any particular type of automotive business, either! The training provided can be applied to any automotive-based business such as performance shops, fabrication businesses, transmission shops, specialty machine shops, 4×4 shops, powder coaters, and many more.
When and Where?
Nov 1 Las Vegas, NV (Day 2 of SEMA) - Signup here
Dec 6 Indianapolis, IN (day before PRI) - Signup here
Visit the Schedules page to sign up!
What do you get?
When you attend Essentials of Operating a Shop, you will also receive…
- The Essentials of Operating a Shop Training Manual which supports all of the training curriculum, formulas, equations, and informational case studies for your continued reference.
- Unique discussions among the class – Everybody has their own shop experiences, both positive and negative, and sharing those experiences is a valuable learning tool.
- Access to our private Facebook group – You will have access to the private group exclusively for students. This group gives you a place to get answers and share new experiences. It is moderated by MSA instructors who are always eager to help!
- Certificate of Completion – Signed and ready to frame.
- Everything else you need for the day will be provided including lunch, pens, and snacks/coffee.